- Registering your baby with Medi-Cal Access Infant Program
- Change your address
- If you get other insurance
- Transfering Health Plans
- How long can you be enrolled in MCAP?
- Eligibility Appeals
- Health Plan’s Dispute Resolution Process
- The Department of Health Care Serviecs (DHCS) Benefits Appeal Process
- Notice of Privacy Practices
This program is administered
by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS).
Process to switch from Covered California to the Medi-Cal Access Program (MCAP)
(Posted on 3/31/16)
Women enrolled in a Covered California health plan with income in the MCAP income range have the choice to leave their Covered California health plan and enroll in MCAP during pregnancy without a gap in coverage. But not all providers take MCAP. So if you want to keep your current medical provider(s), be sure to check if they take MCAP before switching.
The premiums for MCAP are lower, and MCAP has no copays or deductibles of any kind. MCAP provides comprehensive coverage through a health plan and is not part of Medi-Cal. You can go back to Covered California after the pregnancy is over if you are eligible at that time.
Here’s how to switch from Covered California to MCAP:
- Call the Covered California Service Center at 1-800-300-1506.
- You will be asked to confirm you agree to switch to MCAP and to pick a date for your Covered California coverage to stop.
- Then Covered California will contact MCAP with you on the phone to make the switch to MCAP with no gap in coverage.
- Covered California will provide MCAP with your Covered California case ID, first and last name, contact number and Covered California end date to process your MCAP application and enrollment.
- If there is a choice of MCAP plans in your county, you will be asked to pick a plan. You can see plan choices by county here:
If instead you contact MCAP first and say you want to switch, MCAP will contact Covered California with you on the phone to make a three-way call to get the information needed to process your MCAP application and enrollment.
If you have any questions regarding your Covered California coverage or want to switch to MCAP, please contact Covered California at 1-800-300-1506. You may also contact MCAP for more information on this process at 1-800-433-2611.